Thursday, December 4, 2014

Olivia's Birth Story Part 2

“Ride it like a wave, babe.” Rob was coaching me through intense contractions that were making me seriously question my ability to continue.


“I swear to God, if you say that one more time you will leave this room and not be welcome back.” I managed to snap back through gritted teeth.


I had my mom on my left and Rob on my right. I recall sobbing through contractions, pleading for a break. A few of my contractions peaked twice (Although, it felt like hundreds, contractions do not play) before I was granted a 30 second break followed by the next hellish 90 seconds.


My relief finally came when my nurse decided I had had enough and called in my new best friend, the anesthesiologist. All of my blogs and articles had touched upon the epidural but never really gave it that much attention; I realized why when I found myself bent over, gripping a pillow for dear life, having a full blown meltdown, toddler style.


The nurse had sat Rob in a chair so I could see him but he remained out of the action.


“This is not the time to breakdown, Jess! Try and hold it together for a little while longer!” Rob coached.


“Fuuuuu” I started in between sobs.


“Just scream it!” instructed my nurse.


30 minutes, two meltdowns and one cup of regurgitated pumpkin mac and cheese (a full pumpkin came up, y’all) later I was pain free. I can without a doubt say the epidural was worth every second of misery.


My doctor came to check on us and gave us a run down of his plan. Since I was only 1.5 cm dilated, he was going to start me on Pitocin around 4 AM. He was hoping Olivia would make her arrival by 5 PM on October 3rd. Upon hearing the news, my parents decided to call it a night and head home to get some rest while Rob and I took a nap, passing the time until my next dilation check at 11 PM.


At exactly 11 PM, my nurse came in apologizing for waking us up and informed me she was going to check me. 8 centimeters dilated and all she could feel was my water.


She was absolutely shocked how quickly I had progressed in about three hours. She told us to go back to sleep before she came in at two for me to start pushing!


I have never experienced an adrenaline rush as strong as the one I experienced when she told me I would be pushing in 3 short hours. Sleep was an absolute joke at this point. Rob and I had some serious decisions to make.


There was a vicious storm and we were just at the beginning of it. We were tracking the storm on the television, debating if we should call our moms. We knew it was unsafe to be on the road but we also knew they would be livid if they missed it. So call we did and they were there within the hour.





I started pushing at 2 AM and I never could have done it without Rob. My contraction monitor was not working well and the nurse taught him how to feel on my stomach for contractions. He was so supportive, kind and cheerful. He would cheer me on for extra pushes, tell me how well I was doing and how much he loved me.


Olivia Buchanan Huber was born on a stormy Friday on morning at 3:26 AM. She weighed 5 lbs 15oz at 19 inches long! She had a head full of gorgeous strawberry blond hair, big brown eyes, Rob’s nose, my chin, and the cutest mouth I have ever seen.



My room quickly filled with our families impatiently waiting to take their turn loving on her.




I saw pride and immense love on Rob’s face as he passed our beautiful daughter to each new visitor. I watched the faces of our moms and sisters melt while they fell under her delicious and addicting spell. I chatted with my dad while he showered her with kisses. She was all ours and she was perfect (with the exception of her unruly eyebrows she unfortunately got from her mother).






No comments:

Post a Comment