Thursday, December 11, 2014

Blah

You think that true love is the only thing that crush your heart. The thing that will take your life and light it up or destroy it. Then, you become a mother - Meredith Grey

Since Olivia passed away I have been struggling with the fact that I am no longer a mom. I understand I will always be her mother but I am not, nor was I ever a mom. I never changed her diaper, gave her a bath, put clothes on her, calmed her down when she cried or fed her. I couldn't tell you what her tiny butt looked like and I don't remember how she smelled. 

I am the worst kind of mother, I am a mother without her child. I am left to continue to play the what if game like I did during my pregnancy. I feel like I am still waiting her arrival. My brain can't process that she was here and already gone. I catch myself thinking about holidays and how fun they would be with her and have to remind myself those things will never happen. I am forced to relive her death each day and the pain is unbearable. 

I also feel guilty each day. I feel like I failed her as a mother. My only job was to protect her and I couldn't. I couldn't take away her pain and I couldn't stop her from dying. I am a complete failure at the one that I always assumed I would excel at.  I will never be able to apologize to her or make it right. 

I continue to replay my pregnancy, wondering if there was anything I could have done differently. I want so badly to be able to go back and have a redo. I want to go back and unwrap her from her swaddle. I want to examine her tiny toes and fingers. I want to remove her diaper and study her butt. I want to give her a bottle and watch her mouth suck. I desperately need to hear her cry. I want to do anything that makes me be able to say I was her mom. 

I hope that wherever Olivia is she has someone there who is being a mother to her, better than I ever could. I need to think she is being cared for and loved. I hope someone is protecting her for me and that she knows how desperately I wanted to be able to be that person for her. 

As far as me, I hope one day I can pick up the pieces and forgive myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment